Tips, Manuals, and Tutorials for users, web designers, and
A tutorial for end-users, web designers, and developers, on
creating, viewing, and publishing DjVu documents, including:
- when/why use DjVu rather than other formats.
- how to scan or create material for conversion to DjVu.
- which DjVu compression tool should be used, and
how to use them to produce DjVu images and documents.
- how to publish DjVu documents on a web site and optimize
the user experience.
- how to trigger the plug-in autoinstall feature.
- how to index DjVu documents and provide full-text search capabilities.
- how to add hyperlinks, highlights, and metadata to DjVu documents.
- how to configure a web server to serve DjVu pages, so that Netscape
users won't see gibberish instead of a DjVu image in their browser window.
A paper (in DjVu) comparing DjVu with various other other image formats
in terms of compression ratio, compression speed, and image quality.
Various technical papers by the inventors of DjVu with
detailed information on how DjVu works inside.
Answers to frequently asked questions and
troubleshooting tips (somewhat out of date).
Information for plug-in users on how to use the DjVu plug-in,
and information for web designers on how to control the
plug-in behavior from HTML.
The source code of the DjVu open source reference library 3.0 under GNU GPL
Available to software developers and system integrators for integrating support for viewing
and manipulating DjVu documents. Supported platforms include:
Windows 95/98/NT, Linux, and Solaris.
The complete specification of the DjVu file format v2.0 for
single-page images. The 3.0 format spec is not yet available.
Not included in the 2.0 spec are such 3.0 features as the multipage
document format, and the description of new chunks in DjVu
images such as the hidden text layer, the annotation chunk, the
color-per-component mask/foreground chunk, and the MMR and JPEG chunks.
Manuals of the various command-line tools provided with
DjVu 2.0 and 3.0 (slightly out of date with LizardTech's
latest 3.x release).